Date:          Tue, 14 Jan 1997 11:31:34 EST
From:          Martin Levitt <110253@VM.TEMPLE.EDU>
Subject:       APS Exploration Conference (fwd)
               <ARCHIVES@MIAMIU.ACS.MUOHIO.EDU>

Sender:       Archives & Archivists <ARCHIVES@MIAMIU.ACS.MUOHIO.EDU>
Poster:       Martin Levitt <110253@VM.TEMPLE.EDU>

                   SURVEYING THE RECORD: NORTH AMERICAN
                      SCIENTIFIC EXPLORATION TO 1900

                             A Conference of
                   The American Philosophical Society

                             14-16 March 1997
                          Benjamin Franklin Hall
                     427 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia

                              Friday March 14

Registration: Noon

Session I: 1:00 - 1:45 p.m. Welcome and Overview

Edward C. Carter II (American Philosophical Society) "Welcome"
John L. Allen (University of Connecticut) "Where We Are and How We Got
   There"

Session II: 2:00 - 3:30 p.m. The Cartographic Record

Chair: John L. Allen (University of Connecticut)
John Rennie Short (Syracuse University) "A New Mode of Thinking"
Clifford Nelson (United States Geological Survey) "Completing a Reliable
   Geologic Map of the United States"
Michael Kowalewski (Carleton College) "High Terrain: John Muir,
   Clarence King, and the Geological Sublime"

Refreshment Break

Session III: 4:00 - 6:00 p.m. Oceanic Exploration

Chair: Harold D. Langley (Catholic University of America)
Elizabeth Green (Indiana University) "Science as a Landed Activity"
Barry Alan Joyce (San Diego State University) "Elisha Kent Kane and the
   Eskimo of Etah: 1853, 1854, 1855"
Dean C. Allard (Naval Historical Center) "Spencer Baird and the Scientific
   Exploration of the North Atlantic"

Reception APS Library: 6:00 - 7:30 p.m.

                             Saturday March 15

Registration: 7:30 a.m.

Session IV: 8:00 - 11:30 a.m. The Artist as Explorer, The Explorer as Artist

Chair: Elizabeth Johns (University of Pennsylvania)
Kenneth Haltman (Michigan State University) "Geologic Landscape Paintings by
   Samuel Seymour"
Katherine Manthorne (University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign) "Image as Text:
   Reading Expeditionary Art"

Refreshment Break

Ron Tyler (Texas State Historical Assoc.) "Illustrated Government
   Publications Relating to the American West"
Debora Rindge (New Mexico State University) "Science and Art Meet in the
   Parlor: The Role of Popular Magazine Illustration in the Pictorial Record
   the `Great Surveys'"

Box Luncheon

Session V: 1:00 - 2:45 p.m. Lewis and Clark

Chair: Gary E. Moulton (University of Nebraska-Lincoln)
Gunther Barth (University of California at Berkeley) "The Roles of Alexander
   Mackenzie and Meriwether Lewis during the Final Searches for the
   Northwest Passage"
Albert Furtwangler (Mount Allison University) "Do or Die, But Then Report
   and Ponder: Palpable and Mental Adventures in the Lewis and Clark Record"
Gary Moulton, "Reconstructing the Herbarium of the Lewis and Clark
   Expedition: New Discoveries"

Break

Session VI: 3:00 - 5:00 p.m. Exploration and Anthropology

Chair: Anthony F. C. Wallace (University of Pennsylvania)
Don Fowler (University of Nevada) and David Wilcox (Museum of Northern
   Arizona) "From Thomas Jefferson to the Pecos Conference"
   Richard Veit (Monmouth University) "Montroville Wilson Dickeson,
   Pioneering American Archaeologist"
Douglas Cole and Alex Long (Simon Fraser University) "Surveying,Salvaging--or
   Savaging?--the Indians"

                       Saturday March 15 (continued)

Refreshment Break

Session VII: 5:15 - 7:00 p.m. Works in Progress

Chair: Howard R. Lamar (Yale University)
Howard Lamar "Stephen H. Long's 1820 Expedition: Responses to Native
   Americans"
Marc Rothenberg (Joseph Henry Papers) "The Smithsonian Institution and
   Scientific Exploration, 1846-1878"
Lisa Strong (Columbia University) "Collecting Oneself: Karl Bodmer, Alfred
   Jacob Miller and the Indian Sketch Collection"
Ben Huseman (Amon Carter Museum) "New Research on John James Young,
   Enigmatic Government Expeditionary Artist and Draughtsman"
Donald C. Dahmann (U.S. Department of Commerce) "Placing the Career of the
   Geographer Henry Gannett (1846-1914) in a Context That Relates to Our Own
   Time"

                              Sunday March 16

Registration: 7:30 a.m.

Session VIII: 8:00 - 10:30 a.m. A Biography of Explorers

Chair: Edward C. Carter II (American Philosophical Society)
J. Donald Hughes (University of Denver) "The Discovery of Biotic Communities:
   C. Hart Merriam and his Russian Compeers"
Mathew Godfrey (Brigham Young University) "Traversing the Fortieth Parallel:
   The Experiences of Robert Ridgway, Teenage Ornithologist"
James Fleming (Colby College) "The Mexico Boundary and the Boundaries of
   Science: Jean Louis Berlandier and the Politics of Exploration"

Refreshment Break

                       Sunday March 16 (continued)

Session IX: 11:45 - 1:00 p.m. New Dimensions of Exploration
Studies

Chair: James P. Ronda (University of Tulsa)
Donald Worster (University of Kansas) "The Second Colorado River Expedition:
   John Wesley Powell, Mormonism, and the Environment"
Lucy Jayne Kamau (Northeastern Illinois University) "What Constitutes
   Science? William Maclure, The Academy of Natural Sciences, and the Nature
   of Science in the Early Republic"
Brad D. Hume (Indiana University) "The Romantic AND the Technical in Early
   Nineteenth-Century American Exploration"
James P. Ronda "Looking Backward -- Looking Forward: Thoughts on the Meaning
   and Contributions of `Surveying the Record'"

Concluding Remarks

Edward C. Carter II (American Philosophical Society)

                        Program Advisory Committee

        Chair, Edward C. Carter II (American Philosophical Society)
               John Logan Allen (University of Connecticut)
                   James P. Ronda (University of Tulsa)
           Martha A. Sandweiss (Mead Art Museum, Amherst College)

      The Conference is supported by the American Philosophical Society
                 Andrew W. Mellon Library Endowment Fund.

            All sessions will be held in Benjamin Franklin Hall
                     427 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia
   Telephone Inquiries: (215) 440-3400; During Sessions: (215) 440-3103

                       INFORMATION AND REGISTRATION FORM
                      Surveying The Record: North American
                    Scientific Exploration to 1900 Conference
                              March 14 - 16, 1997

Meeting Goals:  The conference has two basic purposes:  to
examine and illuminate new historical approaches to scientific
exploration, and to stimulate discussions and intellectual
exchange between the new and older generations of scholars.

All Sessions will be held in Benjamin Franklin Hall at 427
Chestnut Street, Philadelphia.  The Friday evening reception will
be in Library Hall, where an exhibit on "The American
Philosophical Society and Exploration" will be on view.

Conference Fees:
$40 Conference fee includes Friday reception, Saturday lunch, and
all refreshment breaks.
$15 Student fee with institutional ID
Individual day fees:  $15 Friday, $15 Saturday, and $10 Sunday

Registration:
     By Mail: Fill out form below and make checks payable to
     American Philosophical Society.  Mail to:
                                      Exploration Conference
                                      American Philosophical Society Library
                                      105 South Fifth Street
                                      Philadelphia, PA  19106-3386
     By FAX:  (215) 440-8579 or E-Mail: ecarter@mail.sas.upenn.edu
         FAX and E-Mail registrants please pay fees by mail before March 5,1997.
     Telephone Inquiries:  (215) 440-3400;  During Sessions:(215) 440-3103
                 REGISTRATION DEADLINE IS MARCH 5, 1997

           Exploration Conference American Philosophical Society Library
                 105 South 5th Street Philadelphia, PA  19106-3386

NAME:__________________________________________________________________
              Last                     First

FEES:    $40 ____; $15 student ____; $15 Friday ___; $15 Saturday ____;
         $10 Sunday ____

|     DR. MARTIN L. LEVITT            ASSOC LIBRARIAN FOR ADMINISTRATION|
|     110253@VM.TEMPLE.EDU  (OR)      PHILADELPHIA, PA 19106-3386       |