[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Science/technology archives discussion

Tim,

I liked the question you posed to the list from Leonard DeGraaf, and though
I know you would like to hear from the historians in the group, if you will
forgive this archivist, I would like to add an element to the question.

The question posed to Leonard DeGraaf was about the under documented areas
of science and technology.  The question he asked the group to comment on,
however, was the useful records and archival materials that they have used.
 I would encourage Dr. DeGraaf to focus on the first question: As we
consider science and technology what areas are poorly documented.  What
would you the historians like to know, want to study? Recent work by
archivists has demonstrated the value of thinking FIRST about WHAT we are
trying to document and then determining HOW to gather or create the
documentation that is required.  If we don't know WHAT we are trying to
document, we can't evaluate how well those documents (lab notebooks,
databases, correspondence, oral histories) actually provide evidence about
what we want to know.

A discussion of under documented areas, then might focus on some of the
following issues.
For instance,  research in academic settings tends to be better documented,
both because of the tradition of publication by academics and also because
there are academic archives collecting the papers of academic scientists
and engineers.  But what about research in the corporate and government
sectors, or even the independent researcher? What do we want to know about
those endeavors?

At another level we can say that archivists have an understanding of how to
document the work of individual scientists.  But that is not how science
and engineering is conducted these days.  Rather research is conducted by
large teams, often interdisciplinary, and often international.  What do we
want to know about this type of research?  The Center for History of
Physics at the American Institute of Physics had done some very important
work on just this question.

I hope that these suggestions will generate some discussion on under
documented areas.

Helen Samuels
MIT