[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

STMA - VOLTA99 Conferences 11-19 September 1999 (long)

Dear STAMAsters .... For your information

> [...]
>These include:
>
> A conference on the History of Electricity (11-15 September 1999): VOLTA
>AND THE HISTORY OF ELECTRICITY;
>
> A conference on the use of History and Philosophy of Science in Science
>Education (15-19 September 1999): SCIENCE AS CULTURE.
>
>Common deadlines for both Conferences:
>	     for abstracts and/or papers  is June the 1st
>	    for registration form July the 1st
>	    for registration fee without surplus July the 15th
>	    for hotel reservation form July the 15th
>
>We would like to communicate that we shall not be able to accommodate more
>than 350 participants for each Conference.
>FIRST JOINT CONFERENCE
>4th European Physical Society Conference
> on History of Modern Physics
>&
>Conference of the Commission on the History
> of Modern Physics
>&
>Annual Conference of the Italian Society
>for the History of Science
>
> September 11-15, 1999, Como-Pavia
>
>VOLTA AND THE HISTORY OF ELECTRICITY
>
>Under the auspices of the Commission for the Bicentenary Celebrations of
>Volta's Battery (1799-1999), the Interdivisional History of Physics Group
>of the European Physical Society and the Commission on the History of
>Modern Physics of the Division of History of Science of the International
>Union for History and Philosophy of Science (IUHPS), the Italian Society
>for the History of Physics and Astronomy (SISFA) and the Italian Society
>for the History of Science, are holding a conference at the Como "A. Volta"
>Centre for Scientific Culture and at Pavia University. The conference
>follows earlier very successful European ones held in Como (1993), Berlin
>(1995) and Paris (1997).
>
>The local organising committee is run by the History of Physics Group of
>the Physics Department "A. Volta" at Pavia University. The Group has been
>working for a number of years on various topics of the history of modern
>physics, and in particular on the history of electricity. At present work
>is in progress on Volta's contributions to physics. On the occasion of the
>Conference a reconstruction of Volta's laboratory, with more than one
>hundred original instruments and their multimedia animations and
>simulations, will be presented to the public.
>
>An international advisory committee will assist with conference planning
>and programme content. The conference will be followed by and overlap with
>"Science as Culture, the joint 5th International History, Philosophy and
>Science Teaching Conference and the 8th European History and Physics
>Teaching Conference. A joint session of the two conferences will be held on
>September 15, 1999.
>
>Advisory Committee
>
>Fabio Bevilacqua (Dipartimento di Fisica "A.Volta", Universite di Pavia)
>Crgen Teichmann (Deutsches Museum, Munchen)
>Christine Blondel (Cite de la Science et de l'Industrie, La Villette,
Paris) >Dieter Hoffman (Max Planck Institut fur Wissenschaftsgeschichte,
Berlin) >Pasquale Tucci (Istituto di Fisica Generale e Applicata,
Universite di Milano) >Roger Stuewer (Minnesota University, Minneapolis)

> [...]
>PAID WHEN MAKING RESERVATIONS; ALL HOTEL BILLS ARE TO BE SETTLED DIRECTLY
>WITH HOTEL.
> (to be returned by July 15th  1999)
>(please, complete this form with a typewriter or in capital letters)
>Participant
>Family Name
>
>First Name(s)
>
>Sex
>
>Affiliation: University/Department/School
>
>E-Mail
>
>Correspondence Address
>
>City
>
>Country
>

>Fax
>

>Arrival date and approximate time if known
>
>Departure date
>

>1999 Hotel prices (Italian Lit. min./max.)
>category: 4, 3, 2, 1 stars
>
>Prices:
>****
>165.000 / 190.000 (single)
>230.000 / 260.000 (double)
>Breakfast Included
>

>***
>115.000 / 130.000 (single)
>165.000 / 180.000 (double)
>Breakfast Included
>
>**
>100.000/110.000 (single)
>130.000/140.000 (double)
>Breakfast Included
>
>Room rental
>70.000 (single)
>90.000 (double)
>No breakfast
>
>Please reserve :
>(  )  single room
>(  ) double room to be shared with _____________________________
>in a:	(  )  **** [FOUR STARS] 	(  )  *** [THREE STARS]	(  )**[TWO
>STARS] 	(
> )  Room Rental
>
>A deposit corresponding to the amount of Lit. 100.000  (50 EURO) per person
>is requested.
>(  ) I'm sending the amount of _________________ EURO
> by Bank Transfer on:
>	Banca Regionale Europea S.p.A.
>	Filiale di Como - Viale Giulio Cesare, 26/28
>	Account Nr: : 3655/0=20
>	ABI 6906=20
>	CAB 10900
>	Account Name: Centro di Cultura Scientifica "A. Volta"
>Please send a copy of money order.
>
>(  ) Charge my credit card for the amount of
>EURO _____________
>
>(5% service charge will be deducted from your deposit):
>	 Visa		 Mastercard		 Eurocard
>	Card n. __________________________________________
>Expiry Date ______________________
>Cardholder __________________________________
>Signature ____________________________
>\N.B.	Reservation is not guaranteed after July 15th 1999.
>	No refund of deposit  will be made without a written cancellation (by
>e-mail or fax) AFTER 	August 23th  1999.
>
>Date _____________________
>Signature_______________________________
>
>Form to be sent to: 	Centro A.Volta Secretariat
>			Villa Olmo, Via Cantoni 1
>			22100 Como (Italy)
>			fax +39.31.573395 =20
>-  			or by e-mail to Chiara Stefanetti:=20

*   Gavan McCarthy - Director
*    [Australian Science Archives Project (ASAP)],
*       The Australian Science and Technology Heritage Centre
*         University of Melbourne, 203 Bouverie Street,
*            Carlton, Vic. 3053 Australia
*              Phone: +61 3 9344 9287 Fax: +61 3 9349 4630
*           ASAPWeb! on <http://www.asap.unimelb.edu.au/>
The ASAP Heritage Centre is aligned with the Department of History and
Philosophy of Science, Faculty of Arts, University of Melbourne.
It is self-funded and a public charitable organisation in reference
to Section 50(5) of the Income Tax Assessment Act.