There had always been under Professor Laby a very active research school at the Physics Laboratory, and, when the Panel was started, Laby directed that all research work other than that of optical munitions should cease, so that all efforts could be devoted to optical investigations for the Panel.(1)
The University of Melbourne played a major part in the work of the Optical Munitions Panel. Three Departments at the University were involved in its work:
The majority of Optical Munitions Panel meetings, including the first, were held at the University of Melbourne. E.O. Hercus, J.S. Rogers, and P.G. Law were all based at the University of Melbourne. Many students at the University became involved with the wartime optical munitions work undertaken at the University. Many women workers also contributed, including Laby's own daughter.
The optical munitions tasks undertaken in the Department of Physics at the University of Melbourne included:
Some of the optical instruments that were designed at the University of Melbourne included introscopes, binoculars, sighting telescopes, wide angle eyepieces, flask spotters, stereoscopes, periscopes and the simplified dial sight.
(1) J.S. Rogers, The History of the Optical Munitions Panel: July 1940 - December 1946, Australian Archives, Brighton, Melbourne, MP 730/11, Box 3, p. 38.