PHYSICS IN AUSTRALIA TO 1945
Inquiries and corrections to R.W. Home (email@example.com)
WWW edition prepared by Tim Sherrat and Victoria Young for Bright Sparcs, June 1995
BASTOW, Stewart Henry
Born Folkestone, England, 2 February 1908; died Melbourne 23 January 1964. Education University of Tasmania (B.Sc. 1929) and Cambridge University (Ph.D. 1932). Demonstrator in physics University of Tasmania 1927. 1851 Exhibition senior scholar 1932-34. Research chemist, National Enamels Ltd., U.K., 1934-37; Anglo-Iranian Oil Co., 1937-40. Royal Engineers, 1940-45. Officer-in-charge, C.S.I.R. Lubricants and Bearings (later Tribophysics) Section, 1945-48; Chief, Division Tribophysics, 1948-49. Member, C.S.I.R.O. Executive, 1949-64; Chief Executive Officer, 1957-59.
- (With A.L. McAulay) The electrical behaviour of surfaces of corroding iron. Chemical Society, London. Journal., (1929), 85-92.
- (With F.P. Bowden) On the contact of smooth surfaces. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, A, 134 (1931), 404-413.
- (With F.P. Bowden) Contact of smooth surfaces. Nature, 129 (1932), 438.
- (With F.P. Bowden) Physico-chemical studies of complex organic molecules. III. Surface properties of concentrates of vitamin A. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, B, 116 (1934), 27-37.
- (With F.P. Bowden) Range of action of surface forces. Nature, 135 (1935), 828.
- (With F.P. Bowden) Physical properties of surfaces. II. Viscous flow of liquid films. The range of action of surface forces. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, A, 151 (1935), 220-233.
| Previous entry
| Next entry
| Bright SPARCS