PHYSICS IN AUSTRALIA TO 1945
Inquiries and corrections to R.W. Home (email@example.com)
WWW edition prepared by Tim Sherrat and Victoria Young for Bright Sparcs, June 1995
WARREN, William Henry
Born Bristol, England, 2 February 1852; died Sydney 9 January 1926. Apprentice, L. & N.W. Railway, Wolverton, U.K., 1865-72. Education, Dublin Royal College of Science, 1872-74, and Owens College, Manchester. Engineer, Magnall & Littlewoods gasworks, Manchester, 1874-81. Engineer, Roads & Bridges branch, N.S.W. Department of Public Works, 1881-83. Lecturer in engineering, Sydney University, 1883; professor 1884-1925. First president of the Institution of Engineers Australia, 1919.
- Description of the autographic stress-strain apparatus used in connection with the testing machine at the Sydney University, for recording the results of testing the strength and elasticity of materials in cross-breaking, compression, and tension. Royal Society of New South Wales. Journal and Proceedings., 22 (1888), 253-256.
- The unification of the methods of testing materials used in construction, and the precautions necessary in the accurate determinations of the various coefficients of strength and elasticity. Royal Society of New South Wales. Journal and Proceedings., 31 (1897), xiii - lv.
- Apparatus for ascertaining the minute strains which occur in materials when stressed within the elastic limit. Royal Society of New South Wales. Journal and Proceedings., 31 (1897), 89-94.
- (With S.H.E. Barraclough) The effect of temperature on the tensile and compressive properties of copper. Royal Society of New South Wales. Journal and Proceedings., 31 (1897), 281-295.
- A testing machine for equal alternating stresses. Royal Society of New South Wales. Journal and Proceedings., 32 (1898), cxxix - cxxxi.
- Impact tests of materials. Engineering Association of New South Wales. Proceedings., 23 (1907-08), 179-211.
- Hardness, toughness and brittleness. Engineering Association of New South Wales. Proceedings., 23 (1907-08), 212-226.
- Timber physics. Treatise on timber tests and summary of results. N.S.W. Department of Forestry Bulletin, (August 1915), 1-28.
| Previous entry
| Next entry
| Bright SPARCS