PHYSICS IN AUSTRALIA TO 1945
Inquiries and corrections to R.W. Home (email@example.com)
WWW edition prepared by Tim Sherrat and Victoria Young for Bright Sparcs, June 1995
KNIBBS, George Handley
Born Sydney 13 June 1858; died Melbourne 30 March 1929. Licensed surveyor, Trigonometrical and General Survey Department, N.S.W. 1878-89. Lecturer in geodesy, astronomy & hydraulics, Sydney University 1889-1905. Director, Technical Education, N.S.W., 1905-06. Commonwealth Statistician, 1906-21. Director, Commonwealth Institute of Science & Industry, 1921-26. C.M.G. 1911. Knighted 1923.
- The formulae of geometrical optics; with some applications to the theory of surveying instruments. Surveyor, 7 (1894), 253-268.
- The history, theory, and determination of the viscosity of water by the efflux methodied Royal Society of New South Wales. Journal and Proceedings., 29 (1895), 77-146.
- Note of recent determinations of the viscosity of water by the efflux method. Royal Society of New South Wales. Journal and Proceedings., 30 (1896), 186-193.
- The theory of the reflecting extensometer of Professor Martens. Royal Society of New South Wales. Journal and Proceedings., 31 (1897), 94-111.
- On the steady flow of water in uniform pipes and channels. Royal Society of New South Wales. Journal and Proceedings., 31 (1897), 314-355.
- The gravitation-constant and the earth's density. Surveyor, 12 (1899), 169-172, 199-206, 218-222, 315.
- The history of the atomistic conception, and its philosophical import. Australasian Association for the Advancement of Science. Report of Meeting., 8 (Melbourne, 1900), 18-44.
- Mathematical analysis of some experiments in climatological physiology. Philosophical Magazine, S.6, 24 (1912), 325-351.
| Previous entry
| Next entry
| Bright SPARCS