PHYSICS IN AUSTRALIA TO 1945
Inquiries and corrections to R.W. Home (email@example.com)
WWW edition prepared by Tim Sherrat and Victoria Young for Bright Sparcs, June 1995
HIGGS, Arthur John
Born Sydney 6 January 1904. Education University of Sydney (B.Sc. 1926). Assistant, Mt. Stromlo Observatory, 1926-40. Research officer, C.S.I.R./O. Division Radiophysics 1940-69; Technical secretary, 1945-69.
- (With V.A. Bailey) On the attachment of electrons to the molecules HCL and NH**3. Philosophical Magazine, S.7, 7 (1929), 277-286.
- Measurements of atmospheric ozone made at the Commonwealth Solar Observatory, Mount Stromlo, Canberra, during the years 1929 to 1932. Australia. Commonwealth Solar Observatory, Mt. Stromlo. Memoirs., No.3 (March 1934), 29pp.
- (With G.H. Munro and H.C. Webster) Simultaneous observations of atmospherics with cathode ray direction-finders at Toowoomba and Canberra. Australia. Council for Scientific and Industrial Research. Bulletin., 89 (1935), Australia. Radio Research Board. Report 8, 9-42.
- (With G.H. Munro and W.J. Wark) Observations of atmospherics with a narrow sector directional recorder at Canberra. Australia. Council for Scientific and Industrial Research. Bulletin., 100 (1936), Australia. Radio Research Board. Report 10, 19-30.
- (With G.H. Munro and W.J. Wark) Characteristics and distribution of sources of atmospherics. Australia. Council for Scientific and Industrial Research. Bulletin., 100 (1936), Australia. Radio Research Board. Report 10, 31-41.
- (With H.C. Webster and G.H. Munro) Thunderstorms in the Tasman Sea and Coral Sea, March, 1934. Meteorological Magazine, 71 (1936), 59-62.
- (With D.F. Martyn, G.H. Munro and S.E. Williams) Ionospheric disturbances, fadeouts and bright hydrogen solar eruptions. Nature, 140 (1937), 603-605.
- (With R.G. Giovanelli) Recent solar eruptions, auroras, and magnetic storms. Nature, 141 (1938), 746.
- (With R.G. Giovanelli) The association of radio fade-outs with solar eruptions. Terrestrial Magnetism and Atmospheric Electricity, 44 (1939), 181-187.
- (With H.C. Webster and G.H. Munro) Fürther studies of directions of atmospherics at Toowoomba and Canberra. Australia. Council for Scientific and Industrial Research. Bulletin., 127 (1939), Australia. Radio Research Board. Report14, 7-21.
- (With J. Bannon, D.F. Martyn and G.H. Munro) The association of meteorological changes with variations of ionization in the F**2 region of the ionosphere. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, A, 174, (1940), 298-309.
- (With J.A. Pierce and E.C. Halliday) Decrease in ionization of the F**2 region during solar eclipse. Physical Review, 58, (1940), 1119. Also published as: Ionospheric observations during the solar eclipse of October 1. Nature, 146 (1940), 747.
- Ionospheric observations by the Australian eclipse expedition of 1940. Australian Journal of Science, 4 (1941), 11-13.
- (With J. Bannon and G.H. Munro) Magnetic disturbances and region F**2 of the ionosphere. Terrestrial Magnetism and Atmospheric Electricity, 46 (1941), 61-69.
- Ionospheric measurements made during the total solar eclipse of 1940 October 1. Royal Astronomical Society. Monthly Notices., 102 (1942), 24-34.
| Previous entry
| Next entry
| Bright SPARCS