PHYSICS IN AUSTRALIA TO 1945
Inquiries and corrections to R.W. Home (firstname.lastname@example.org)
WWW edition prepared by Tim Sherrat and Victoria Young for Bright Sparcs, June 1995
BALDWIN, Joseph Mason
Born Melbourne 9 September 1878; died Southport, Queensland, 6 July 1945. Education Melbourne University (B.A. 1900, B.Sc. 1901, M.A. 1902, D.Sc. 1913). 1851 Exhibition scholar, 1906-08; Research assistant, Royal Observatory, Cape of Good Hope, and Potsdam Observatory, Germany. Chief assistant, Melbourne Observatory, 1908-15; acting director, 1915-20; government astronomer, 1920-44. Syme Prize 1914. Officer in charge, Melbourne Observatory time service, 1944-45. Leader, solar eclipse expedition, Goondiwindi, Queensland, 1922.
- (With T.R. Lyle) Experiments on the propagation of longitudinal waves of magnetic flux along iron wires and rods. Physical Society, London. Proceedings., 20 (1905-07), 303-340. Philosophical Magazine, S.6, 12 (1906), 433-468.
- The behaviour of iron under small periodic magnetizing forces. Physical Society, London. Proceedings., (1905-07), 391-408. Philosophical Magazine, S.6, 13 (1907), 232-248.
- New Australian magnetic observatory at Toolangi. Terrestrial Magnetism and Atmospheric Electricity, 24 (1919), 142-143.
- Melbourne Observatory. Royal Astronomical Society. Monthly Notices., 80 (February 1920), 401-403.
- Note on the correction for chronometer rate. Royal Society of Victoria. Proceedings., 32 (1919-20), 147.
- Magnetic surveys in Australia. First Pan-Pacific Science Conference, Hawaii, 1920. Proceedings., vol. 2, pp.471-474.
- An intercomparison of important standard yard measures. Royal Society of Victoria. Proceedings., 34 (1921-22), 49-54.
- The size of stars. Melbourne, 1924. 16pp.
- Hourly values of the magnetic elements at Toolangi, in 1924. Melbourne, 1926. 37pp.
- (With W.M. Holmes) Reading board for magnetographs. Terrestrial Magnetism and Atmospheric Electricity, 31 (1926), 8.
- Hourly values of the magnetic elements at Toolangi, in 1925. Melbourne, 1927. 37pp.
- Hourly values of the magnetic elements at Toolangi, in 1926. Melbourne, 1928. 41pp.
- Hourly values of the magnetic elements at Toolangi, in 1927. Melbourne, 1929. 37pp.
- The evolution of the free pendulum clock. Australian and New Zealand Association for the Advancement of Science. Report of the Meeting., 20 (Brisbane, 1930), 101-116.
- Hourly values of the magnetic elements at Toolangi, 1928 to 1931. Melbourne, 1935. 146pp.
- Hourly values of the magnetic elements at Toolangi, in 1932 and 1933. Melbourne, 1936. 73pp.
| Previous entry
| Next entry
| Bright SPARCS