PHYSICS IN AUSTRALIA TO 1945
Inquiries and corrections to R.W. Home (firstname.lastname@example.org)
WWW edition prepared by Tim Sherrat and Victoria Young for Bright Sparcs, June 1995
SHAW, Frederick Stanley
Born Albany, Western Australia, 31 October 1911; died Sydney 4 November 1982. Education, University of Western Australia (B.E. 1938) and Oxford University (B.Sc. 1947). D.Eng., University of Melbourne, 1952. Research officer, Aeronautical Research Laboratories, Melbourne, 1942-60; Superintendent of Structures Division 1953-60. Research Associate in applied mathematics, Brown University , Rhode Island, U.S.A., 1946-48; visiting professor of aeronautical engineering, Brooklyn Polytechnical Institute, New York, 1951-53. Professor of civil engineering, University of N.S.W. 1960-71.
- (With G.C.J. Dalton) Note on the calculation of vibration frequencies for an aero-engine installation. Aeronautical Research Committee [U.K.], Reports & Memoirs, no. 1917 (1940), 6 pp.
- (With G.C.J. Dalton and R.V. Southwell) Natural frequencies of vibration for a wing carrying engines. Aeronautical Research Committee [U.K.], Reports & Memoirs, no. 1918 (1940), 28 pp.
- (With R.V. Southwell) Relaxation methods applied to engineering problems. VII. Problems relating to the percolation of fluids through porous materials. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, A, 178 (1941), 1-17.
- (With D.G. Christopherson, L. Fox, J.R. Green and R.V. Southwell) Relaxation methods applied to engineering problems. VIIB. The elastic stability of plane transforms and of flat plating. Royal Society of London. Philosophical Transactions., A, 239 (1945 [issued 1942]), 461-487.
- The torsion of a rolled-steel-joist section by relaxation methods. Institution of Engineers, Australia. Journal., 14 (1942), 273-277.
- (With G.K. Batchelor) A consideration of the design of wind tunnel contractions. Australian Council for Aeronautics. Report., ACA 4 (1944), 14 pp.
- The torsion of solid and hollow prisms in the elastic and plastic range by relaxation methods. Australian Council for Aeronautics. Report., ACA 11 (1944), 28 pp.
- (With J.P.O. Silberstein) Stress analysis of an engine mount. Australian Council for Aeronautics. Report., ACA 17 (1945), 20 pp.
| Previous entry
| Next entry
| Bright SPARCS